Middle School English Teacher
· Minimum bachelor’s degree in education with certification in subject area being taught.
· Academic Coordinators (teachers) of core academic subjects will meet the qualifications as set forth by 1.01 and 1.02 of the State Board of Education Policy Manual.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; ability to communicate well with school personnel, students and parents.
· Demonstrate functional knowledge of computers and all aspects of the Microsoft Office Professional software programs.
· Ability to work independently, meet deadlines and accomplish specific tasks as requested.
· Ability to constantly monitor the safety and well-being of students.
· Comply with confidentiality requirements in local, state and federal policies and statutes
SUPERVISOR/CHAIN OF COMMAND: PRINCIPAL
WORKING SCHEDULE: Exempt, salaried, full-time position with benefits.
Hours will be flexible to meet the various requirements of the position. Year round.
JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Academic Coordinators of Thomas Academy are expected to support the mission and philosophy of Thomas Academy and B&GH.
To successfully prepare students with the knowledge and strategies they will need in order to master the curriculum and achieve a passing score on standardized tests. To also help students learn skills that will contribute to their social development.
Academic Coordinators are expected to provide professional service in the following areas:
· Follow all rules, policies and procedures of Thomas Academy, along with state and federal regulations pertaining to school issues.
· Plan and execute a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of students and is compatible with the school, district and state guidelines.
· Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of students.
· Guide the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and, in harmony with the goals, establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects, and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
· Employ instructional methods, materials and lesson plans that are most appropriate for meeting stated objectives.
· Assess the accomplishments of students on a regular basis provide progress reports and other reports as required.
· Counsel with colleagues, students, and/or parents on a regular basis.
· Assist the administration in implementing all policies and/or rules governing student life and conduct, and for the classroom, develop reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintain order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
· Strive to maintain and improve professional competence. Participate in the development and support of the broad school vision.
· Attend staff meetings, serves on staff committees and carries out non-instructional duties as required as assigned.
· Perform related duties and responsibilities as required by the Principal and/or VP of Education.
· Adhere to all laws and requirements established by the NC Department of Public Instruction and the NC General Assembly.
1. Must have the ability to sit, stand, and/or walk for extended periods of time.
2. Must have the ability to balance, climb, feel, grasp, kneel, lift, pull, push, stoop, and reach above shoulder level.
3. Must have the ability to sustain repetitive movements for a limited period of time.
4. Must have the ability to operate automotive equipment, travel, and work under limited supervision.